Work Skills Instructor
Join Our Staff!
Join the Opportunity Partners team and make a difference in the lives of people with different abilities. Earn competitive wages and excellent benefits at one of Minnesota’s most respected social service agencies. Together, we can prove that everyone, when given the opportunity, adds value to our world.
Opportunity Partners supports choices for people with disabilities through innovative services and strategic collaborations, assisting those we serve to live, learn and work – adding value to their lives and communities.
The purpose of this position is to assist and supervise people assigned to a line to assure production is completed on time and to the specifications set by the customer and/or Opportunity Partners. The incumbent also may perform the operations necessary to accomplish these goals.
Controls the work flow on the lines so that production flows smoothly and quality is maintained. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring adequate materials are available
- Inspecting quality
- Filling in for people during short absences
- Maintains a less than 3% reject rate
- Maintaining communication with supervisors regarding job progress
Instructs and assists people so that they understand how to perform the work. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Familiarizing self with each people’ skills and abilities and matching to appropriate tasks
- Teaching techniques through modeling, verbal instruction, and demonstration
- Evaluating comprehension of instruction through observation of individual people’ output and quality
- Identifying further training needs
Sets up line or machine work as directed by supervisor so that production is accomplished through good layout techniques and motion economy. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Analyzing jobs
- Setting up the bench or machine sequence
- Staging work to accommodate person skill levels while ensuring quality control
Suggests and implements goals for people so that they can work on skills that will enable them to reach their highest work performance potential. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Working with people to build work skills and self-confidence
- Keeping notes and preparing reports
- Reporting behaviors, goal progress, and skill development daily, while providing constructive person contact
- Assisting with the creation and implementation of downtime activities to maintain skill levels of people
Records production counts, individual person production and material usage on a daily basis so that records accurately reflect the activity of the jobs supervised. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Monitoring and reporting production rates and person work speeds
- Monitoring material usage
- Reporting line counts
Maintains safe and orderly work area so that the potential for accidents/incidents is minimized. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Handling emergency situation
- Filling out accident, incident, or seizure reports and submitting within 24 hours
- Reviewing safety checklists
- Monitoring loading and unloading of vehicles, as assigned
Monitors equipment and supplies so that repairs are made or reported and supplies and parts are accounted for. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Learning basic functions of assigned machines, inspecting daily, and ensuring needed repairs are completed
- Returning equipment and supplies to storage, products are clearly labeled and stored, and rejects are properly recorded
Engages in professional development activities so that new knowledge can be brought to the work setting to enhance person training. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Attending in-house training or self-training
- Attending seminars or workshops
- Completing yearly mandated training
Substitutes for assistant manager of production as requested so that these responsibilities are accomplished during his/her absence. Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Completing production counts and reporting to production office
- Checking preliminary performance reports for accuracy
- Knowledge customarily acquired through completion of a high school education. Prefer some experience in a workshop or factory production setting, with supervisory experience.
- Communication skills, both written and oral in English.
- The ability to understand and effectively use the P.E.A.R.L. interaction style with program participants, interdisciplinary team members, coworkers, supervisors, and other internal and external customer.
- Mechanical skills and understanding of equipment operations.
- Basic mathematical skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Self Starter
- Ability to supervise the work of others.
- Detail oriented.
- Ability to deal with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to understand the abilities and limitations of population.
- Physical ability to meet the requirements of the attached grid.
- Ability to maintain emotional control under stress.